Every person needs support from others. By providing opportunities for economically disadvantaged people to reach their goals in order to enhance their lives, their families, and their communities, People Incorporated promotes the dignity of individuals and families, moves people into the economic mainstream, and works to develop existing strengths and resources within communities. Currently, People Inc. is including income tax preparation assistance through the VITA program and assistance with connecting households to regular internet service through their Connectivity Specialists. Programs are available to residents of Prince William County, Manassas Park, the City of Manassas, and other regions.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
People Incorporated’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) provides free tax preparation assistance to individuals making under $57,000.
In order to keep the community, staff and volunteers safe during the current health crisis, People Inc. VITA sites are virtual this year. Services start the week of February 15, 2021. If you have access to a computer and dependable internet, call the VITA hotline at 276-619-2235 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s what you need for your appointment:
- Photo ID
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-MISC) from all employers
- Interest and dividends statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Note: To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the form.
Internet Connectivity Specialists
Clients can qualify for this service if they have been impacted by the pandemic in some way – through the loss of a job, reduction in hours, the need to school children from home or another impact. Clients must also meet income eligibility, documentation requirements and show a need for internet service.
“Access to the internet is a necessity,” said Angie Groseclose, vice president and chief operating officer at People Inc. “It’s necessary for telehealth appointments, searching for a job and for kids to attend school, and it’s an extra expense that may not be in everyone’s budget. We want to make internet service more accessible for those who need it.”
An Internet Connectivity Specialist will work with clients to help pay past due payments and set up new accounts. Please call 1-833-962-2039 to get started.
To qualify, clients must:
- Meet certain income requirements
- Verify income, social security, unemployment benefits or show that they do not have income
- Show an impact caused by the pandemic
- Have a need for internet service and fall within one of our 16 services areas (incl. Prince William County, Manassas Park, and the City of Manassas).
This service is funded by emergency CARES Act.