The budget season has kicked off in Prince William County, and there are many ways to get involved in the process. If crunching numbers and analyzing policy is your thing; considering joining the Occoquan District Budget Committee. Supervisor Boddye is seeking 10-12 district residents willing to dig into the budget and identify priorities for FY2021. If interested, you can apply online.
You can also participate virtually:
- Comment on the board’s weekly agenda on SpeakUp Prince William at pwcgov.org/speakup
- Submit questions using the interactive Budget Q&A, which will be available at pwcgov.org/budget starting Feb. 18
- Email Supervisors individually or , email the full Board at firstname.lastname@example.org
Additionally, all County residents are welcome to attend and speak at Board of County Supervisors meetings, as elected officials hold work sessions and public hearings on the proposed Fiscal Year 2021 budget:
- During the Feb. 11 board meeting at 2 p.m., the supervisors will see the Proposed Capital Improvements Projects, or CIP, plan for 2021 through 2026.
- During the 7:30 p.m. board meeting on Feb. 18, the County Executive will present the Proposed Budget, which details proposed funding for county services in Fiscal Year 2021.
- On Saturday, Feb. 22, a community meeting will be held from 9 a.m. to noon, where county residents will be able to hear the presentations and ask questions about the CIP and proposed budget
- On Wednesday, March 4, there will be a Planning Commission CIP work session at 6 p.m., where the planning commissioners will provide their input on the proposed CIP.
- On March 10 and 17, the supervisors will hold budget work sessions during their 2 p.m. meetings, which will cover specific areas of the proposed budget, as determined by the board.
- On March 31, the Prince William County School Board will present its proposed budget to the Board of County Supervisors during the county board’s 7:30 p.m. meeting.
- On April 14, there will be a recap on the proposed budget during the board’s 2 p.m. meeting. There will then be a public hearing on the proposed budget at the 7:30 p.m. meeting. (The board will also hold an additional public hearing on the proposed budget at a date yet to be decided.)
- On April 21, during the budget mark-up session at 7:30 p.m., the supervisors will determine any final changes they would like to make to the budget.
- The budget is scheduled to be adopted on April 28 during the board’s 7:30 p.m. meeting.
All meetings will be held in the Board Chambers at the McCoart Administration Building, 1 County Complex Court, in Woodbridge, with the exception of the Planning Commission meeting, which will be held in the Potomac Conference Room of the McCoart Building.